Here’s To Clive Palmer

8 Sep
Clive Palmer sings with his mum Nancy, at a Christmas Day lunch hosted for 600 disadvantaged people in 2012. Picture: Glenn Barnes

Clive Palmer sings with his mum Nancy, at a Christmas Day lunch he hosted for 600 disadvantaged people in 2012. Picture: Glenn Barnes

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

– Steve Jobs (Apple Inc)

Watching last evening’s election results TV coverage, I was frankly disgusted, and not a little angered, by the open disrespect, the thinly-disguised ridicule, shown by so many Canberra press gallery “personalities” (looking at you in particular, CH7’s Mark Riley) and major political party apparatchiks, towards neophyte politician Clive Palmer.

Whatever one may think of the man, or his policy ideas — though one very strongly suspects that the mockery is much, much more to do with wealth-envy and body image-driven prejudice against the man, rather than any rational argument against the policies — the simple fact remains that some 6% of the nation’s voters — more than half a million Australians — consciously chose to vote for Palmer United Party candidates as their FIRST preference in this election.

It is a vivid reflection on the mockers’ limited intellectual capacity, lack of self-awareness, and preening arrogance, that they fail to recognise that to mock Clive Palmer and the Palmer United Party, is really to mock the many hundreds of thousands of Australians who chose to vote for him.

As regular readers know, your humble blogger views the world rather differently to most.

Prior to this election, Professor Steve Keen (another “crazy” person) had asked me if I had seen Clive Palmer on the ABC’s ‘Q&A’ program, and urged me to catch it on iView:

A month or so later, I felt further impressed by Clive the man — the human being — in his long form interview with Ellen Fanning on SBS’s ‘The Observer Effect’ (skip to 29:38).

But truth be told, I still had taken no particularly pressing interest in Clive Palmer’s political aspirations, until the mainstream Australian media and major party politicians began a transparently obvious campaign of smearing him.

The Australian newspaper.

Andrew Bolt.

Barnaby Joyce.

And many more.

To quote the late, great George Carlin: I have certain rules I live by. My first rule: I don’t believe anything the government tells me. Nothing. Zero. And I don’t take very seriously the media or the press in this country…“.

There’s another rule I live by too.

If the main stream of worldly thought has taken a particular view — and especially if it is a view that is being pushed strongly — then my default view is that it is almost certainly wrong.

And, against the best interests of the majority of people.

If the “establishment” Coles vs Woolworths political parties, and/or their incestuous friends in the mainstream media, obviously want you to believe that something or someone is “crazy”; if they seem to not want you to consider something too carefully, or with an open mind, then that should be a great big flashing neon sign telling you that you DO want to consider it carefully.

I have not assessed the Palmer United Party’s policies. And frankly, at present I don’t much care if they are (in my own opinion, for whatever that is worth) any good or not.

What I do care about, is that everyone — and especially everyone who can attract well over half a million first preference votes — is given a free and fair opportunity to be heard, without being mocked, ridiculed, cut off, badgered, smeared, or subjected to smarmy “rolled-eyes” treatment.

Whether they are “nuts”, or (far more likely) not.

Here’s to the “crazy” ones …

Advertisements

17 Responses to “Here’s To Clive Palmer”

1. Whacked2 September 8, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Touché

2. Whacked2 September 8, 2013 at 10:13 am #

Oh, just realized that I did not vote…
    Shame … Then again do not live in the Country anymore.
    Made a conscience decision to sell up and leave, after noting that both political parties are essentially the same and Australia doomed.
    Under this new government nothing will right the blatant bias towards taxation and wankers.
    Noted that the G20 has agreed to have access to all bank accounts so countries can access the information for terrorism (oops taxation) reasons.

So be it.

This is the path the destruction of the socialist marxist governments. Capital flows will diminish, so will new investment.

Cannot say that I am too pleased over access by NSA over data lines as well. The world police (USA) have assured destruction of what is left of their tattered reputation.

Obama is hell bent on this assured destruction as well with his comments on Syria.

Thank heavens Mr Abbott has some sense on this subject, then again noticed that the media did not support.

What comes around goes around and the Banks and Lenders day will come. It is a matter of time, but until that day arrives they will gloat. When that day arrives they will seek Government protection.

I fear that they will get it and then Australia will be no different to Cypress or Great Britain.

Recession coming … the real recession that you have to have, thanks to the debt burden, lack of capital investment, increased taxation and failed world wide policies of ALL the socialist leaders of every country.

Oh and no … not hiding my wealth. Had to explain to the offshore Bank when I transferred the monies out of Australia where the money came from, show them the income tax returns, sale documents of assets and explain to them the Income Tax Act, how it works and why no capital gain on principal residence.

You see money laundering is a crime and they assume you are a criminal and burden of proof rests on your shoulders … as they do not want sanctions to be imposed.
    A paltry sum of monies at the end of the day but acquiesced to this demand.

So ke sera sera…

And also do not miss the press… Amazing how much better information available from the ‘free press’.

3. mick September 8, 2013 at 11:19 am #

This election was perhaps the beginning of the death of democracy in Australia. I had the misfortune to watch a part of the 7 coverage. Just like the propaganda campaign which has been conducted for the past 3 years election day delivered much of the same, even after the polls closed. First we had the news: protestors who were vocal against Kevin Rudd were painted as rightful protestors whilst those protesting against Tony Abbott were painted as attacking the opposition leader who was doing his job. Yeah right.

And then during the counting I witnessed former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett spewing out a relentless vindictive venom with the presenter Chris Bath just letting it go. And then 7 brought on Christopher Pine who did the same after the result had been decided. And then of course Abbott’s victory speech continued on with the slogans and the attacks kept coming. This is our new government.

The jury is still out but my call is that big business has done the dirt and now again has control of the nation and the purse strings. Let the cash flow begin.

• The Blissful Ignoramus September 8, 2013 at 11:32 am #

“big business has done the dirt and now again has control of the nation”

There’s no “again” about it. Seriously Mick, it is evidence of limited, binary thinking to continue asserting / inferring a belief that the ALP is somehow not beholden to the same big (& foreign-owned) business interests as the LNP … *shakes head*

There can hardly be a better example of this, than to remember that it was the ALP who recently did a secret, behind-closed-doors deal with the Big 3 foreign-owned multinational mining co’s (BHP, RIO, Xstrata) — specifically locking out the biggest locally-owned miners, Rinehart, Forrest, and Palmer — in “negotiating” (ie, rubber-stamping BHP’s design) the mining tax. The one that has generated no revenue, while putting locally-owned smaller miners and junior explorers at a competitive disadvantage. Exactly as the big foreign-owned miners intended.

The only real difference between the ALP and LNP, is the smell of their special brand of BS.

• Kevin Moore September 8, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Mick,
      You profess to be a Christian. Why then for instance would you support organisations that are in favor of a conscience vote on the legalisation of sodomy? Sodomy is denounced Biblically in no uncertain terms.
      Know your enemy –
      From Protocol 17:
      WE SHALL DESTROY THE CLERGY –
      “WE HAVE LONG PAST TAKEN CARE TO DISCREDIT THE PRIESTHOOD OF “GOYIM,” and thereby to ruin their mission on earth which in these days might still be a great hindrance to us. Day by day its influence on the peoples of the world is falling lower.
      FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE HAS BEEN DECLARED EVERYWHERE, SO THAT NOW ONLY YEARS DIVIDE US FROM THE MOMENT OF THE COMPLETE WRECKING OF THAT CHRISTIAN RELIGION as to other religions we shall have still less difficulty in dealing with them, but it would be premature to speak of this now. We shall act clericalism and clericals into such narrow frames as to make their influence move in retrogressive proportion to its former progress

4. Ross Johnson September 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

I voted for Clive Palmer. When the Murdoch Press goes after you with a vengeance, this tells me Clive has the wealth to be independent. Time will tell if he has the whole nation’s well being at heart.

5. mick September 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

I agree with you Ross and am waiting to see if Palmer is the real McCoy or a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I gave voting for Palmer some serious thought but I had a suspicion that Palmer might have been a Liberal Party sleeper so in the end went elsewhere. Given that Palmer’s preferences went all over the place it may be that he is not affiliated with anyone other his bank account but I’ll give the guy due diligence between now and the next election.

Whilst I hear your barb that I cannot see the big picture Blissful I need to ask why big business and its mouthpiece (the Liberal Party) as well as its media outlets went after Labor with such fervor. Whilst concede that the Labor Party was its own worst enemy it is clear that big business wants the reigns. Why?

If the money floodgates open and the dough rolls into the coffers of the rich miners and the richest in the nation then I believe my point will be made. If not then I am wrong.

• The Blissful Ignoramus September 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Mick, you have sidestepped the central point made — that the MRRT incident demonstrates the ALP is just as much in bed with big (foreign) business, as the other “side”.

• Kevin Moore September 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Mick,
      The Carbon [dioxide?] tax imposed by the ALP – Green alliance has been a disaster for the Australian manufacturing industry.
      If it happened that the ALP were re-elected it would have imposed an artificial derivatives market in CO2 emissions that would have only profited banks and financiers such as Goldman Sachs.
      Kevin Rudd once referred to Malcolm Turnbull as “the minister for Goldman Sachs”, so he’s worth keeping a very close eye on.

• Ross Johnson September 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Agreed Kevin. The Greens, Labor and the Liberals have sold out most people in this country. The way forward is monetary sovereignty via Govt banks or private mutual banking societies that stop the ownership of our creativity via their debt money creation system.

6. Oblivious Troll (@Oblivious_troll) September 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Palmer is hardly a political neophyte. He was a very active member of the Qld Nationals and for a while a party organiser.

7. mick September 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Hey guys, I am not defending Labor as I do not support either side of politics. What I am saying is that there are (apparently) more than superficial differences between the parties because of it were not so all the troops would have not fought so hard to get rid of Labor. It was a snow job. I am not in a position to argue if the MRRT was a deal or if Labor wanted to shut down the negative publicity it was getting from the big miners who were launching their smear campaign to get their way. My thoughts about Labor is that they were too gutless to ride out the storm. So given that there is (apparently) zilch tax raised anyway then why did Abbott promise to “give back the mining tax”? It does not appear to make sense.

Blissful: I am not side stepping the issue and I see that those in charge are selling out the nation. I have emailed my fingers to the bone to get the sale of freehold farmland to foreign governments on the agenda. With the exception of the western Sydney meet the PM exercise I failed miserably. None of the main media outlets would touch it. The MRRT is perhaps in the same boat. For me I see the that it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck but I am still considering that it might not be a duck.

Kevin: I understand that you do not believe in climate change. Tony Abbott agrees with you too and I won’t try to convince you as it is a pointless exercise. But I am coming from the point of view that there is climate change, that it is not a banking driven fear campaign and that unless we act then our descendants will perish. I often wonder what the sceptics will accept as reality….a 10 degree temperature rise? Whilst it will win me no friends on this blog I maintain that one cannot simply explain away what one does not wish to confront by finding a suitable scapegoat. Like you all I have no love of the banking system. Whilst you have all helped me to come to grips with my intellectual gaps I am not going to blame every issue on banks unless there is irrefutable evidence.

• Kevin Moore September 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

“The 50:1 Project”
      A logical and complete debunking of the ALP’s Carbon [dioxide] Trading Schemes – a must watch.

or here –

• Kevin Moore September 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Global Warning – Al Gore – Global Taxes – Global Government
      “…..Gore, who this year famously left his Nashville mansion’s driveway brightly illuminated during the “Earth Hour” event that promoted energy savings, was speaking at the Smith School World Forum on Enterprise and the Environment.
      He cited the “cap-and-trade” legislation in the U.S. Congress that by President Obama’s own estimate would cause utility bills to skyrocket for American consumers.
      Those taxes are good, Gore said.
      “But it is the awareness itself that will drive the change, and one of the ways it will drive the change is through global government and global agreements,” he said.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2009/07/103634/#x7eZLXoD2l4OKUo0.99
      And don’t forget Mick that the ALP corporation is a member of Socialist International [S.I.] which has as its primary objective Global Government.

8. bushbunny September 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Barnaby Joyce only lost on two polling stations, by 17 in Drake, and 25 in Werris Creek(after the 2 PPrefs) because the Greens and Taber gave preferences to Stephen for ALP. But he got 72% of the votes with preferences, and 54 % First prefs. As Rod Taber runs a solar panel company obviously he believes like Tony in climate change and the clean energy bank. But not all Taber voters went for the ALP. Clive Palmer only got 27% of first prefs, and LNP 49% so how can he win his seat? It appears he has on preferences.

9. Kevin Moore September 9, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Then there’s the other type of crazies like Bush and Blair whom George Galloway reckons should be locked up in a cell together for the rest of their natural life.

10. Richo September 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Though his polices are a bit out there, Clive Palmer had the best campaign of the lot. He was actually positive in this campaign advertisements and offered some fresh ideas. He policies strike me as a bt of a magic pudding but he has put themself out there. As they say : Fortune favours the brave.

Comments are closed.